MARINE RADIO COMMUNICATIONS AND TRAFFIC SERVICES HISTORY IN CANADA

Atlantic Region

Closed Stations
Marine Communications Officers
The station of Cape Ray was established and operated by the Canadian Marconi Company and went on the air for the first time on October 7, 1904.

The first call sign assigned to the station was 'CR', followed by 'MCR' and finally 'VCR' in 1912. The call sign 'VCR' was eventually used by the Clyde River (Baffin Island) weather and point-to-point station.

Cape Ray is the western point of Newfoundland Triangle formed by Cape Bauld, Cape Race and Cape Ray, jutting out into the Cabot Strait, about 10 miles northwest of Port aux Basques. There were only four buildings on the Cape. The radio station, fog alarm, light house and the staff house, situated close to the seashore with no other habitation in sight.

VCR was communicating with ships in the Gulf and other Gulf stations: North Sydney, Grindstone, Pictou, Cape Bear and Heath Point.

The station closed in the 1920's.
Home
Unifor
Unifor Local 2182
Cape Ray / VCR
  • Back

  • Photo Album

  • Blog



Français | Home | Services | History | Press | Links | Contact | Members

Copyright © Chenel Communications