MARINE RADIO COMMUNICATIONS AND TRAFFIC SERVICES HISTORY IN CANADA

Atlantic Region

Closed Stations
Marine Communications Officers
The Cape Sable, N.S. station, that was built and operated by the Canadian Marconi Company, opened on July 3, 1905 and was offering a commercial messages service to the ships off the coast of Nova Scotia.

In 1915, during the hostilities of World War 1, the station became a Direction-finding station. The Cape Sable station was one of four direction-finding stations on the East coast. The east coast DF service was offered from Chebucto Head, Cape Sable N.S., Canso N.S. and Cape Race, NL.

The Cape Sable Direction Finding station was dismantled right at the close of the Great War, reverting to its original commercial status that of handling commercial messages with ships at sea.

In 1908, the call sign of the station was 'SB', then it changed for 'MSB' and finally for 'VCU' in 1912.

The station was apparently operating on 60 kHz and on 200 kHz.
Home
Unifor
Unifor Local 2182
Cape Sable / VCU
  • Back

  • Photo Album

  • Blog



Français | Home | Services | History | Press | Links | Contact | Members

Copyright © Chenel Communications