Inuvik radio opened on January 12, 1957 and was operated by the Royal Canadian Corps of Signals until August 9, 1959 at which date it was transferred under the Department of Transports.
The Royal Canadian Corps of Signals operated the station during the summer season. The operations were maintained for the Department of Mines and Resources, the Bureau of Northwest Territories as well as for the Yukon Affairs.
Flight Services Stations would also provide a safety watch over specific marine frequencies on behalf of the Canadian Coast Guard. In 1998, FSS Norman Wells, FSS Hay River and FSS Fort Smith discontinued this service and MCTS Inuvik reclaimed them. Also, Yellowknife FSS stopped providing a marine service in 1998 and operations were also moved to Inuvik.
The year 1990 brought a few changes to CGRS Inuvik. CGRS Coppermine was remote to Inuvik and the station was moved from the airport to the Semmler Building, downtown Inuvik.
In 1994, CGRS Inuvik changed regions from Western to Northern and in 1996 another move to the Central and Arctic Region.
Inuvik always operated under "VFA". Records show that this call sign was first assigned to the vessel "Princess Adelaide" in 1915.
The station closed in 2013 and its services were transferred to Iqaluit MCTS.